[UPDATE: We’ve updated our 2015 Community Snapshots to include 2015 ELA/Math Proficiency Data. Download the updated version for Port Chester here.]
Welcome back to the 2015 Community Snapshot series! We are wrapping up this week with two remaining communities: Port Chester (today) and Peekskill (tomorrow). If you haven’t already, be sure to take a look at last week’s snapshots for Yonkers, New Rochelle, Mount Vernon, White Plains, and Ossining.
Unless otherwise noted in the source, all numbers in the 2015 Port Chester Community Snapshot reflect the Port-Chester Rye Union Free School District, which includes Port Chester and part of Rye Brook.
2015 Port Chester Community Snapshot
- As with the other Community Snapshots, keep in mind that the drop in Port Chester’s 8th grade math proficiency could be a result of a new policy that allows advanced math students to take the High School Regents exam instead of the 8th Grade Math exam.
- [UPDATE] From 2014 to 2015, there were upward trends in proficiency rates in Math for both Grades 3 and 8, as well as in ELA for Grade 8.
- Out of the seven communities featured in this series, Port Chester has the highest percentage of students with limited proficiency in English (25%). It also has the highest percentage of residents identifying as Hispanic (53%).
- In the 2015 Community Snapshot series, Port Chester has the highest percentage of adults without a bachelor’s degree (78%).
- Port Chester has both the smallest percentage of infants born underweight (6%) and the largest percentage of children who are obese or overweight (45%).
- Through Open Door Medical Centers’ school-based health centers, students are able to receive primary care within the school itself. As a result, students don’t need to miss class and parents don’t need to miss work for appointments. Patients don’t have out-of-pocket costs, and Open Door helps those who are uninsured to enroll in a health insurance plan.
You can still download the older version of the 2015 Port Chester Community Snapshot and its accompanying data packet. Enjoy!